Industry News
Insurance
Top stories summarized by our editors
8/3/2021

Medicare Advantage plans, or Part C, can help lower out-of-pocket health care costs, but many seniors are poorly informed about this coverage, writes Bethany Cissell, a health care insurance services specialist. Cissel discusses the differences between Medicare Advantage and original Medicare, answering questions that may be on clients' minds.

8/3/2021

Robert Miller says that when he first got into the insurance industry he was simply working for his father's company and had no interest in making it a career. Now, 40 years later, the former NAIFA president says he found success after changing his attitude and has some advice for people coming into the business.

More Summaries:
Robert Miller
8/3/2021

An APCIA-supported House bill would allow the purchase of private flood insurance policies to count toward the National Flood Insurance Program's continuous coverage requirement. The legislation was introduced by Reps. Blaine Luetkemeyer, R-Mo., and Kathy Castor, D-Fla., who say consumers should not face penalties for seeking alternatives to NFIP policies.

More Summaries:
Reps. Blaine Luetkemeyer
8/3/2021

The $1 trillion infrastructure bill introduced in the Senate contains provisions aimed at heightening the safety standard for vehicles' front seats and requiring new vehicles to feature technology that prevents people from driving while drunk. Other provisions include requirements for rear guards on semitrailers as well as crash-avoidance systems and automatic emergency braking for new vehicles.

Full Story:
CBS News, Reuters, Bloomberg
More Summaries:
Senate
8/2/2021

Advisors should remind clients to update their designated beneficiary details on IRAs and trusts after major life events to avoid problems, says tax expert Ed Slott. He outlines a number of inherited IRA scenarios and how distribution rules apply in each one.

8/2/2021

Community mitigation needs to be a vital element of addressing heightened wildfire risk amid concerns about rising homeowners insurance premiums in California, APCIA's Mark Sektnan said. The state's "highly prescriptive regulatory system" poses a challenge for setting premiums, which are calculated based on losses and "not what we see coming, because we're not allowed to use that type of modeling yet," Sektnan said.

Full Story:
KGTV-TV (San Diego)
More Summaries:
Sektnan
8/2/2021

A study led by the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children's Hospital found state laws prohibiting hand-held cellphone use while driving have resulted in 140 fewer driver fatalities and 13,900 fewer driver injuries per year. The research indicates that laws prohibiting only texting or calling have been less effective, and the study authors encourage all states to adopt laws banning hand-held cellphone use behind the wheel.

8/2/2021

The number of people killed in vehicular crashes while not using seat belts increased 15% last year, as overall traffic deaths rose 7% even though total miles driven decreased 13%, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The total of traffic fatalities in which someone was thrown from a vehicle increased 20% last year, according to NHTSA.

Full Story:
ConsumerAffairs
8/2/2021

Pacific Gas and Electric has reached civil settlements with California's Shasta County over the Zogg Fire and therefore should not face criminal liability in the 2020 wildfire, the utility said. The Shasta County district attorney said via social media that it plans to file criminal charges against PG&E by late September.

Full Story:
Reuters
8/2/2021

The tally of active wildfires in the US has risen to 91, with seven new fires reported on Sunday and more than 1.8 million acres burned by the active fires, according to the National Interagency Fire Center. Officials say the Oregon's Bootleg Fire, the biggest wildfire burning in the US, likely will not be fully contained until October.