Top 10: Target’s grocery growth, US eateries’ inclusion on World’s Best list, CPG supply chain concerns
The No. 2 story on this week’s rankings of food and beverage news was about how retailer Target has expanded its private-label grocery line and grown sales. Chief Food and Beverage Officer Rick Gomez said Target approached the category the same way that they did other nonfood categories: by creating on-trend offerings for inexpensive costs. The other food retail news on the list was that Walmart has partnered with streaming service Netflix to make a digital platform selling Walmart products that are connected to popular Nexflix shows, such as “Squid Game.”
Topping this week’s list was the news that six US restaurants were featured on The World's 50 Best Restaurants list, which is compiled each year by UK business magazine William Reed Media. Denmark eatery Noma was ranked No. 1 after four previous wins -- the business closed in 2016 but became eligible for consideration again when the restaurant reopened three years ago. Other popular foodservice news included the announcement that fast-casual chain BurgerFi will purchase Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza & Wings to combine into one company.
SmartBrief Food and Beverage readers were interested in consumer packaged goods news with the industry taking up several spots on the Top 10. Supply chain challenges and labor shortages are disrupting most industries as the world continues to feel the effects of the coronavirus pandemic, and the CPG industry is no exception. One of this week’s most-clicked items was about the Consumer Brands Association’s plea to the federal government to take action by creating a national supply chain office to oversee current and future issues.
CPG stories that also proved popular were about new product launches, many of which were previewed at last week’s annual National Convenience Store Show: Hershey is adding a crunchy variety of its Reese’s Snack Cakes, as well as a Reese’s Big Cup that adds potato chips to the candy; Conagra debuted several new flavors and sizes to its line of Slim Jim meat products.
Check out the complete list of this week’s top 10 most-clicked stories in SmartBrief's Food and Beverage briefs:
- 6 US restaurants make list of World's 50 Best
- Target wants to add its cool factor to grocery
- Hershey targets afternoon snacking with new bar
- Conagra ups annual forecast, prices, Slim Jim line
- Supply chain disruptions surpass 2020 pandemic pressures
- BurgerFi to buy Anthony's in $161.3M deal
- CPG brands ring in the holidays with new products
- Walmart tunes into fans of hit Netflix shows
- Cashews make luxuriously creamy vegan mac and cheese
- No matter how you cut it, these mustards rule
- How fancy food brands can feed consumers in the pandemic and beyond
- Private brands up the ante to drive differentiation, retailer trust
- Grocers embrace robotics, automated systems
If you liked this article, sign up for SmartBrief’s free email newsletter from the Food Industry Association. It’s among SmartBrief's more than 250 industry-focused newsletters.