Top 10: Shake Shack’s first drive-thru, CPG innovation and the FTC’s supply chain probe
Shake Shack’s plan for the fast-casual restaurant chain’s first-ever drive-thru format was the No. 1 item on this week’s rankings of most-clicked food and beverage stories by SmartBrief readers. The new location is in Maple Grove, Minn., and will have two separate kitchens -- one for dine-in customers and the other for those in the two drive-thru lanes.
This week’s list was dominated by interest in consumer packaged goods. News of innovation and evolution in the industry took several spots in the Top 10. Food manufacturer Mondelez has partnered with a tech startup to create a virtual storefront that will feature an interactive chocolate e-commerce experience. Following the significant increase in natural and organic food sales, General Mills is focusing more on expanding the category and providing consumers with several innovations such as single-serve Annie’s macaroni and cheese. The launch of an array of new cereal products from General Mills as well as holiday debuts from Ferrero also proved popular.
Another story that drew in attention was news that the Federal Trade Commission has requested documents from several CPG brands and retailers -- including Tyson Foods, Kraft Heinz, Procter & Gamble, Walmart and Amazon -- within 45 days in order to study the information and determine some of the causes of the current supply chain crisis as well as how the businesses are working to fix the disruptions.
In other food retail news, Publix unveiled its new store-branded merchandise such as socks, sweatshirts and bags, which are now available to purchase for the holiday season online through the chain’s corporate store. Insights from Kevin Holt, CEO of fellow grocery chain Ahold Delhaize, about inflation and supply chain issues also made this week’s list. Holt predicts that inflation will start to alleviate in Q2 of 2022 because the labor market is likely to improve and supply chain issues will recover by that time.
Check out the complete list of this week’s top 10 most-clicked stories in SmartBrief's food and beverage briefs:
- Shake Shack shows off its first drive-thru restaurant
- Publix offers branded clothes, gifts for the holidays
- General Mills eyes more natural, organic food sales
- General Mills' cereal debuts include new brand
- Virtual store is Mondelez's first foray into metaverse
- Ferrero's holiday set offers new Rocher, Tic Tac flavors
- Ahold Delhaize USA CEO: Inflation may ease in mid-2022
- Some restaurant chains put delivery on the back burner
- FTC to study supply chain info from CPG firms, retailers
- SmartLabel to open new doors for CPG brands
- How climate change and inflation are affecting coffee prices
- A food brand’s values can be key to long-term success
- How will consumers prepare holiday meals in 2021?
If you liked this article, sign up for SmartBrief’s free email newsletter from the National Restaurant Association. It’s among SmartBrief's more than 250 industry-focused newsletters